Sunday, September 4, 2011

Start at the Beginning

An Introduction to the Author

So, I was born in Utah. And that was alright. And then I grew up in Utah. That was also okay. Then, somewhat unexpectedly, I found myself living in South Korea. And not for a short little stint, either. 

When I arrived in South Korea, I was just barely an adult. My Korean was just barely sufficient to get around. I had a lot of growing up to do. So that’s what I did for the next ten years; I grew up. Outside my mother country. Five thousand miles from Utah geographically; a quadrillion miles removed from Utah in every other way.

To make a very long story very short, now I’m back in Utah, and either I’ve changed, or Utah has changed. I want to figure out which is which, and this blog is going to help me chart my progress.

An Introduction to the Blog

Like I said, something has changed. Over the next sixteen weeks or so, this blog will be a platform from which I explore, and expound, and expand, all to try to discover what has really changed.

To a large extent, I’ll limit my musings to events and venues in Salt Lake City, because that’s where I’ll be spending the bulk of my time for the foreseeable future.

In its simplest form, this will mean posting a picture and a description of some new restaurant or shop that I’ve discovered. In other posts, I’ll analyze some of the larger systems that shape my daily experience here. UTA and UDOT are both likely to feature in that type of post. And finally, I expect to have a few longer posts in which I attempt to stand back a bit from the day-to-day grind and reflect on some of the larger differences between life there and life here.

An Introduction to the Reader

Hopefully, you’re here because you’ve had the chance to see your world through someone else’s eyes, and you enjoyed the experience enough to seek it out again. Whether your daily world includes Utah or not, I hope that I’m able to provide some insight on what makes this area so unique. Thanks for your patronage.

No comments:

Post a Comment