Monday, October 3, 2011

The Kouing-aman

A little nibble this week from a bakery recommended to me from an overseas friend who has never visited Utah.

Apparently, Les Madeleines was featured on Food Network in a celebrity chef's "best thing I've ever tasted" segment. My friend saw that segment and compelled me to visit the bakery. I did not leave disappointed.
The Kouing-aman is a delectably buttery little pastry. It tastes delicious, but for me the real thrill was in the textural sensations when you're eating it; it's crispy and has a crunchy salt on the outer edges, and as you get closer to the middle it ever-so-gradually melts into a flakey and gooey caramel in the center. The cost is a little off-putting ($6!), but it's definitely an experience that I'd recommend to anyone at least once.

Les Madeleines is conveniently located just a block south of the Salt Lake City library.

3 comments:

  1. Very funny, I was reading about this the other day.
    It was in the City Weekly, but I only skimmed over the article and didn't know it was on the Food Network. I assume by the name of the bakery it is of French origins.
    Do you know if Les Madeleines is the only place that makes the
    Kouing-aman?
    It looks HUGE! Do they make it with anything baked into it?
    Like cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, huh, I didn't see that in the City Weekly. It is a pretty good-sized thing; not quite a meal on its own, but toss in a piece of fruit and it'd make a nice lunch. As far as I know, they don't offer it in any other flavors, just this one lovely caramelly one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I read your blog I start salivating at the food you talk about. I'm looking forward to trying this bakery next time I'm by the library.

    ReplyDelete